Most hikers carry 1.5-2 pounds of food per day. I don’t eat breakfast and lunch on the trail; instead I snack every 60-90 minutes. For dinner I re-hydrate my food using a small stove. Some things I eat while hiking:
- Granola bars
- Protein bars
- Dried fruits
- Nut butters
And for dinner:
- Proteins: black beans, kidney beans, lentils and tofu
- Grains: pasta, rice noodles, rice and cous cous
- Fats: olive oil, sesame oil and peanut butter
- Veggies: dehydrated carrots, corn, peas, and whatever else I can find
- Packaged meals including mashed potatoes, mac ‘n’ cheese, ramen noodles, instant rice and pasta sides
- Add-ons include spices, vegan protein powder and vegan ‘chicken’ broth
Note that I’ve been a vegetarian for 18 years and I eat mostly vegan now (no eggs or dairy), but I do eat cheese and ice cream and other goodies when I’m in town or at a restaurant.
Leave a comment if you have a question and I’ll happily answer as best I can.